Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Grand Canyon

The night before our train ride to the Grand Canyon was a sleepless one for me.  The Fairfield Inn has been sticken from our places to stay.  I am sure you will all be glad to know the bed was free of bed bugs after my faithful check...can't be too careful you know.  However, the mattress and pillows were like sleeping on bricks; no exageration and then I developed an itch on my leg and we (John) went to sleep hearing on the news about an apt fire caused by bed bugs (I am not jesting) so since I had so much time on my hands my mind was going a million miles a minute and assumed the itch on my leg had to be a bed bug.  I may be llittle obsessed with this but anyone who knows me knows I am anal about hotels.

John was sleeping like a baby not knowing I was protecting us from these invading pests.  At some point I finally went to sleep and could not wait to get out of this hotel... did I mention the bottom of the bathtub was painted!

We were not disappointed in the train ride to the Grand Canyon.  First we watched a very entertaining live cowboy shoot out.  They were very entertaining and then we boarded the train for our trip.  There are no words or pictures that can explain the magnificience of the Grand Canyon.  I was speechless when I walked up to it.  No wonder it is called one of the 7 wonders of the world.  We walked about 3-4 miles around the rim of the canyon.  We want to go back after I get my knee replacement and ride the mules down to the bottom and stay at the Ghost Ranch and do all the wonderful things I can not do right now because of my bum knee.  All I can say is if you have not seen this creation go go go see it!

After our return train trip to Williams we drove to Sedona AZ.  We got here about dark but what we did see makes us very anxious for day light.  We are taking a jeep tour tomorrow of all the red rock creations. 
And we are staying in the Hyatt and yes it is very clean and comfortable.  The bathroom is a dream(something only women understand).    Hope you all can experience these beautiful God-made paradises some day.

These guys were really entertaining.


The "bad cowboy" showed this youngster a horse up close.
The kid's eyes were as big as saucers.


We spent part of the train ride in the dining car.


Beautifully renovated dining car.


Riding coach with entertainment provided by a very good
banjo picker who probably knows every hobo song written.


Two and a half hours later, we arrive at the Grand
Canyon Railroad Terminal. It was a short walk to the rim.


The Hopi House trading post.


The El Tovar Hotel. No we didn't stay there either.


No photograph can convey the beauty of the Grand Canyon.


One big hole in the ground created by God.


It's over 17 miles to that flat plateau in the distance.


Signs everywhere say don't feed the wildlife. Of course,
everyone did.


Our view for lunch couldn't be beat.

Our ride awaits.


Rose from Tennessee provide the entertainment
back to Williams.



The train stopped to pick up these guys.


Fields of gold on the way back to Williams.

No comments:

Post a Comment